Areas of a mesh layer are classified by associating different areas of the mesh model with the respective polygon features from polygon classification layers. This enables you to access attribute data and perform feature layer operations on the mesh layer, including spatial and attribute queries. You can also use the attribute information to display only selected areas of the mesh model or to colorize the mesh model based on attribute value.
Note: Classification is supported for all mesh layers except imported OGC 3D Tiles (B3DM) and 3DML from SGS.
To classify a mesh layer:
- In the Project Tree, select the required layer.
- On the 3D Mesh Layer tab, in the Mesh Layer group, click Classify Mesh Layer. The Classify 3DML dialog box is displayed showing the selected 3DML in the 3D Mesh Layer field and a list of the project’s polygon feature layers.
- The 3DML’s coordinate system is automatically read from the layer. If you want to change the model’s coordinate system, click Change. More about: Coordinate systems >
- Browse to the required Output Folder. The classified mesh model will be saved to this folder.
- Select the polygon feature layers you want to use to classify areas of the mesh model. If you want to set a buffer for the each of the features in a layer, select the buffer field, and enter the required value. A buffer can sometimes be used to achieve a more exact fit between the feature layer polygons and the areas they are classifying, e.g., if the polygons are too small, you can measure the horizontal distance between the polygon and the perimeter of the required mesh area, and then set the buffer based on this distance.
- If you want to replace the original mesh layer in the Project Tree with the classified one, select the Replace 3DML in project check box.
- Click Create. A dialog box is displayed notifying you when classification is complete, and the classified 3DML is added to the project and displayed in the Project Tree.
- You can now access attribute data and perform feature layer operations on the mesh layer, including spatial and attribute queries. More about: Spatial and attribute queries >
- You can also use the attribute information to display only selected areas of the mesh model or to colorize the mesh model based on attribute value. More about: Mesh layer display tools >
More about: Classifying mesh layers >